Saturday, August 19, 2006

Part 7 - From Futuh ash-Sham

Rifâ’ah bin Qays narrates:



As far as we know only 100 out of the 6,000 survived. It is reported that Dirâr رضي الله عنه was very upset to hear that his sister was captured and so went to Khâlid رضي الله عنه and informed him. He replied, “Do not worry, we have captured their leaders. We shall go to Damascus and free our women in exchange for the prisoners.”



The he said to Abû ‘Ubaydah رضي الله عنه “You move slowly with the women while I go and free the captives.” He selected 2,000 horsemen to go with him while despatching the rest with Abû ‘Ubaydah رضي الله عنه for fear of an encounter with Warden.



Râfi’ bin ‘Umayrah, Maysarah bin Masrûq al-‘Absi, Dirâr and other chiefs رضي الله عنهم rode ahead of Khâlid رضي الله عنه and they soon traversed the distance.



Dirâr رضي الله عنه was reciting this poem as they were going –


O Lord Remove that from which we suffer

Do not grant me death before I see my Sister,

This is my desire and my so

Come my friends, with me to the foe.

Then my intention will find completion

If I survive (unsuccessful) shave my beard (in humiliation)

Khâlid رضي الله عنه laughed at this.



They continued until they neared the Istiryâq River where they saw a dust-cloud wherein flags fluttered and swords glinted.



Khâlid رضي الله عنه : This is a strange sight.



Qays: Perhaps it is the remainder of the Damascus cavalry.


Khâlid رضي الله عنه: Everyone keep your spears ready until we find out what is happening.



They obeyed and went ahead.

Posted by UmmShurahbeel at 1:58 pm
0 decided to comment

About Me

    Name: Umm Shurahbeel
    Location: ad-Dunya

    In Pursuit of Allaah's Pleasure and Needy for His Mercy


    May Allaah 'azza wa jall make this blog a means of benefit.
    May He forgive me for my short comings and mistakes that I may make.
    May He grant us all a place in Paradise with the Prophets, the Siddiqeeen, the Shuhadaa' & the Saaliheen - Aameen.


Archives

-